I love corn and pasta in all their iterations! Summer ends for me when fresh corn disappears from the markets. This is my standard corn salad with the new addition of couscous. You only have a very few more weeks, so make it now~~~
4 ears fresh corn (about 4 cups) 4 Tbsp. olive oil
3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
1⁄2 cup uncooked pearl Israeli couscous
1 large English cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups) 1⁄4 cup packed fresh mint leaves, cut into thick strips, plus more for garnish
1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, cut into thick strips, plus more for garnish
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, from 2 limes, divided
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
2 medium ripe avocado, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
Serves: 4-6 | Time: 45 minutes
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Season the corn with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
3. Grill the corn for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning every few minutes until the kernels are lightly charred and the corn is cooked through. Remove corn from the grill and set aside until cool enough to handle.
4. Hold each grilled cob upright on a cutting board; carefully cut downward, cutting kernels from cob. Discard cobs; place kernels in a large bowl. Set aside.
5. Boil salted water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
6. Add couscous and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, until tender. Drain and let cool to room temperature.
7. In a mixing bowl, add grilled corn, couscous, cucumber, mint, and basil; stir to combine. Season with 2 tablespoons lime juice, red wine vinegar, and crushed red pepper.
8. In a small bowl, season avocado with 1 tablespoon lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
9. Gently fold the seasoned avocado into the couscous mixture; careful not to smash the avocado.
10. Garnish with additional mint leaves and basil leaves; serve chilled.