This is easy to make and super delicious. Outrageously cheesy, ultra creamy, and topped with a crunchy Panko-Parmesan topping, this mac and cheese recipe is most definitely a keeper. I used three different cheese and a homemade cheese sauce to take this macaroni and cheese recipe over the top.
2 shallots, peeled
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 pieces bacon, diced, cooked, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound penne pasta or any pasta of your choice, cooked
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place shallots and garlic in a small aluminum foil pouch and drizzle with olive oil. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from foil and chop. I
- In a large saute pan, reheat reserved bacon fat over medium heat. Add roasted shallot and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in heavy cream and thyme. Reduce by a third.
- Stir in the pepper jack and cheddar cheeses until melted, creamy and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and gently stir in pasta.
- Place in a 9X13 casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together diced bacon, bread crumbs, butter grate parmesan and parsley. Top the mac and cheese with the Panko mixture and bake uncovered at 350 degrees until bubbling and lightly browned on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Eat it up!